Conning Tower

  Manual: The helm is connected by rods to a telemotor steering stand (a hydraulic pump) in Central Station. The hydraulic force is sent aft 220 feet to the Steering Engine Room, where the hydraulic force operates the valves of a two-piston steam, which turns the shaft connected to the rudder. 

The same helm stand and wheel were also installed in the Conning Platform, which was moved to the Pilot House built in November 1918..

Electrical: is done with the box to the right of the helm wheel. The arm atop the control operates a 150 horse power electric motor,  320 feet aft in the Steering Room with mechanical gearing that turns the rudder shaft

The photo courtesy of Tom Scott.