"plain steering stand" was relocated from the Conning
Platform of 1913 - 20 Oct 1918. From here the helm is connected by rods to a telemotor steering stand (a hydraulic pump) in Central Station. The hydraulic
force is sent aft 220 feet to the Steering Engine Room, where the hydraulic
force operates the valves of a two-piston steam, which turns the shaft connected
to the rudder.
The same helm stand and wheel were also installed in the Conning Tower.
The helm wheel was removed many years ago but a replica was fabricated. In the year 2000, "First TEXAS Volunteer", Wes Grace made the replica in the photo based on the same helm wheel that is in the Conning Tower.
Electrical: is done with the box to the right of the helm wheel. The arm atop the control operates a 150 horse power electric motor, 320 feet aft in the Steering Room with mechanical gearing that turns the rudder shaft
Photo is courtesy of Dennis Mitchell.