Modernization:  31 July 1925 to 31 August 1927

  31 July 1925 to 23 November 1926 - Norfolk Navy Yard Dry Dock  
203,783 total miles sailed upon entering dry-dock
TEXAS would have been scrapped:
A modernization came about because of the Washington Naval Limitation Treaty of 1922. The treaty placed a 10-year moratorium on new battleship construction but it did not prohibit overhauling older ships. In response Congress authorized funding for a major overhaul of several older battleships. Had there not been a moratorium, TEXAS and NEW YORK would have been scrapped when new ship’s came into service later in the 1920s.
Catching up with technology
The changes reflect the need to catch up with improvement in technology for operating efficiency and defense against improved attack methods. Not only were mechanical and electrical systems modernized but the ship's structure was added to. Such additions would continue over the coming years almost to the point where the ship was taken out of service.
Modernization Cost $3,477,000
per 27 September 1927 TEXAS weekly newspaper "The TEXAS Toreador". The final cost for the entire ship in 1914 was almost $11 million.
The engines were not affected by the modernization
 
Not implemented were1923 drawings for a turbine 
As in 1910, the navy looked to replace the reciprocating engines with one turbine, locating the turbine in the boiler room and the boilers outboard of the turbine 
 
1927 changes basic configuration of today  

  Upper - 31 July 1925  Lower - 23 November 1926  
 
  Modern gun fire control and Boiler changes  
  Plot Room (red location) was relocated here

Boilers Replaced and  boiler space reduced

**** Replaced 14 coal/oil fired with 6 oil-fired.  Since installed by 1912, fuel oil was used for each had 6 oil burners but were only used during high speeds.

The change more than doubled the ships sailing range for fuel oil has more energy than coal in equal volumes and more fuel oil  and more easily stored in additional spaces because it is a liquid.

Fuel oil was more efficient and cleaner to load which eliminated the contamination and mess caused during coaling..

The number of people needed to operate the boiler rooms was reduced due to there being fewer boilers and without coal 140 crew were no longer needed for moving coal to the boilers.

The profile shows the decking above had to be gutted for the replacement.
 

  Converted 3rd deck Coal Storage to Crew Space  
44,500 cubic feet with 285 bunks
 

  Converted Area below 3rd Deck to Fuel Oil Tanks  
  1st Platform  


  2nd Platform  
  Hold  



  Inner Bottom  



  Replaced/Relocate Masts - Cage to tripod  
  Mainmast relocated from atop the Crew’s Galley to just forward of Turret 4.

Height above draught water line (DWL)
*** Tripod (fwd) 131 feet 7inches
*** Cage 140 feet.
   

  Added an outer hull (aka torpedo blister)  

The hull was added for extra protection against the increased threat from torpedo attack.

The upper level is just below 2nd deck and covers from frame 15 (60 feet from the front perpendicular) to frame 127 (508 feet from the front perpendicular).




  Removed Torpedo tubes and torpedoes  

The torpedo compressor (2,500lbs Ingersoll) were retained for compressed air needs.

The air compressor provided the power to launch the torpedo

 

  Installed Catapult P-4 mod 1 - Mark III Powder Gun  
  Per C&R drawing # 131538, dated 1926, the catapult was designed to launch a 6,500pound airplane at 55mph.

The catapult was permanently removed 12 December 1945.

This was the fourth and final location for ship’s airplane launchings.

TEXAS carried 10 different types of airplanes with the first ones brought aboard in December 1918.

Image from the 1976 Texas pamphlet by Leeward Publications.

TEXAS never carried a compressed air powered catapult.
 

  Relocated Six 5inch guns from 2nd deck to Main Deck  
  This change was the fifth of seven configurations

Six on 2nd deck guns 5,6,7,8,9 and 10 were relocated to the  main deck.

The final 8 guns on 2nd deck were removed between March to May 1942.




 

  Relocated Six 3inch Guns to Superstructure Deck  
     

  Shake Down to US Navy Flagship 23 November 1926 to 1 September 1927  
TEXAS left Norfolk Navy Yard, on 23 November 1926 to undergo an extensive shake down period. Between 6 June to August 1927 a Flag Bridge was installed above the Navigation Bridge.. After the June-August dry dock in Portsmouth Navy Yard, speed trials were conducted of Rockland, Maine. From Rockland, she sailed for New York City to rejoin regular US Navy activity. As of 1 September and for the for the next 3 years and 8 months, TEXAS is the flagship of the US Navy.

219,481 total miles sailed upon becoming the Flagship of the US Navy
23 November 1926 1 September 1927
 

1 September 1927 - Flagship of the US Navy


Started 11 May 1999 by Chuck Moore, FTV (1st Texas Volunteers) a Battleship Texas volunteer group - Donate Your Time And Support The Battleship Texas